Monday, January 9, 2017

Epic Ski Trip Week One



As week one of our Epic Ski Week comes to an end, I see it's a powder day in the east.

After skiing 6 straight days, I'm taking a break Saturday. Debby and I will be tourists while the masses from Denver converge on the slopes. 

With help of a gps phone app at Copper Mountain and technology at the other resorts that tracks you by your ski pass, I can see what I've done on the slopes. This week I've skied 83,000 vertical feet and about 100 miles on the snow. The conditions were too good to take a break.

I joined the Vail Club 50 and skied with these nice folks one day. They have volunteer guides. Was going to ski with them twice but a snow storm kept me from driving over Vail pass. They do this twice a week.

Also joined the Copper Mountain "Over the Hill Gang" where the guides are Copper Mountain ski school instructors. Tuesday was our first powder day. We had two guides for a group of 8. The main guide knew a lot of secret powder stashes. By the end of the day after the others tired, it was just me and the two instructors. Lots of fun, fast skiing. Crashed once getting too aggressive on some moguls. Got some mogul tips that I've worked on since. Both instructors told me to move up to the next level: Blue Black Bumpers. The program is offered four times a week. This particular day goes into the list of one of the best skiing days in my life....

Debby is really enjoying her down time and relaxing. We have a very nice condo on Main Street in Frisco. She did get out and bought a cookie and got a haircut and went to the post office. She says she'll get out more. There a museum just down the street and others in the area. She can catch a bus to the resorts and explore and maybe we'll do some happy hours. There was a Copper Mountain Subaru Winterfest event last weekend that we attended on Saturday afternoon for a while. 

Bus service is excellent. Fifteen minutes from our front door to the Copper Mountain slopes. About 25 minutes to Breckenridge. Same time to Keystone but easier to drive. About 30-45 minutes to Vail depending on Vail Pass road conditions. We have a heated parking garage in the condo building.

Went to a Cajun restaurant Thursday night which is just down the street. Last Saturday watched college football in a nearby sports bar while waiting for the condo. Otherwise the always excellent Debby meals. 

Did I mention that it's cold. Negative something much of Friday at Vail. Thank goodness for my super duper ski clothes. Twenties and thirties most other days.

No comments:

Post a Comment